26 February 2012

Galapagar MTB Rally

Date: February 26, 2012
Time: 10:00
Distance: 60 kms 

Warm day in Galapagar (Madrid) to race the Galapagar MTB Rally.
A lot of known and high level riders were in the starting line, as usually, the first positions were going to be really hard-fought. A lot of Golpe de Pedal guys were there, they knew the area pretty well and they have run this race several times.
The 60 kilometers track was hardest during the first half. After the first 30 kilometers, the track was a bit easier. The first and hardest up hills would be the most convenient part for me to try to get the first positions.

Circa 800 bikers started the race with a safety car in front of us during the first 4 kilometers.
The safety car moves away and … the show starts. I started very well places within the head of the race. In the first stone-path I was involved in a traffic jam and the first 20 riders moved far away. Now it is turn to move up.

Around 10 minutes later, I linked myself again with the head of the race. Despite of riding hard to be in the top, I am not extremely tired and I feel strong enough to climb the next up hills between small stones and narrow paths in which it is almost impossible overtaking any biker. Without any chance to overtake, I am in the last places of the head pack, I cannot set my own pace, my heart rate is extremely low and the first bikers move away again. I was climbing slowly but suddenly, I find a small hollow and I am able to overtake 5 bikers. Now, I can set my own pace again.
Finally, I reach Sergio López (Golpe de Pedal) and José V. Gisber (Buho Bike). In front of us, 4 bikers are leading the rally, but our pace is really good.

When it is only 3 kilometers to finish, I take an small advantage, but the persecutor group work together to join me again. Suddenly, Nacho Vara (Golpe de Pedal) overtakes me very fast. However, I do not want to give him any kind of advantage and I overtake him again. Now, I am leading a group of 4 bikers.
All the bikers are riding behind me, I am doing all the effort, but I feel strong enough to keep my 5th place in the general classification. Additionally, I am able to see the 4th classified.
Close to the finish line I decide to start an early final sprint to try to get more advantage, but I do not achieve my aim and when it last a few meters to cross the finish line … the rest of the group work together in their final sprint. 2 seconds have prevented me to be in the Master 30 podium.
It is never a good feeling to lose a place in the podium in the last seconds, but I am pleased (at least for this time) that Nacho Vara (Golpe de Pedal) would be there instead of me.

As always, I have to thank the support of my parents and rest of sponsors for trusting on GARVÍA BIKE – CENTRO TIR project.

 
GARVÍA BIKE ©