12 February 2012

MTB Open in Castilla León

Date: February 12, 2012
Time: 11:15
Distance: 24 kms

First MTB race of the Castilla León Open and … ¿a race to foget? Maybe, not.

Very cold day with some snowflakes that appeared during the warming up. The race was based in 3 laps to 8 kilometers circuit. The track was not really demanding in technical terms, but it was a bit tricky and funny.

Although it was announced as a 4 laps race, it was unexpectedly changed in the last minute. Definitely, it could affect to the race strategy.

With the regular high level bikers, the referees set up the starting line in an absolute caos that was used by some bikers to distort their real position and get some advantage.
Although I was not placed in the first line, my position at the starting line was not so bad and I could start well. However, in the first right turn I left all my initial energy and I placed myself in the worst positions. Something started to go wrong and I was sure that my Canyon was working fine.
In the first narrow paths, I was involved in a really traffic jam and I get really angry while the race head was riding fast whereas I was walking patiently, but What is happening here?! Are we in a race or in a Sunday ride through the nice forest?!

The first up hills were very hard due to the number of bikers trying to gain some places. I felt that something was missing on me.

In the first lap, my manager told me that I was riding 13 and I continue trying to find my pace. Additionally, my concentration is very poor.
I was not riding bad but it could be a bit better, my pace in up- and down-hills were not low, but my feelings were not good enough. I do not know what is happening today, but it is not the time neither to complain nor to negotiate the effort. We are in a race and the effort level has to be the highest to gain some seconds.
In my second lap, my place was improved. I was riding the 11th, but my feelings were not much better.
In such a way I finished my discreet race in Castilla León, place 11th and with many issues to do not forget and to recover the spirit as soon as possible.

The bad training week or the intense 70 kilometers session of the day before could be valid as excuses for today, but this conclusion is really far away from me. Now, it is time to analyze the race and its consequences to fix errors and try to improve in the next events.

Despite of my bad feelings, the race was too short for me. Most probably because I was planed a 4-laps race and not a 3-laps one.

The encouragements of my mother, father (manager), sister and her boyfriend (Julio) have no price and keeps me alive during the whole race.

 
GARVÍA BIKE ©