4 March 2012

Ciudad Real MTB Open: La Solana

Date: March 4, 2012
Time: 9:30
Distance: 50 kms 

The day started very soon for GARVÍA BIKE – CENTRO TIR racing team. At 5:00 a.m. we were ready to go to La Solana (Ciudad Real) to inaugurate the MTB Open of Ciudad Real.

Nearly 300 participants were there to ride along 50 kilometers. Flat at the beginning, followed by hard and long slopes combined with down hills among loose and sharp stones. The final flat kilometers would be hard enough due to the wind.

The first flat miles were not good enough to attack, so all of us were riding fast (but not furious) until the first and longest up hill. Despite of being in the head of the pack, the group increase the pace, I get distracted a few seconds and I lose my good place. Now, my place was very bad and I was not able to react to the attack. A lot of riders passed me.

My discouragement and pessimism lasted 10 seconds. Checking how the first bikers were moving away, I continue trying to find my own pace until I start to feel better. I pass a lot of riders and move several places forward. It was no time to think in something different than to reach the head of the race.
Although, the first bikers are far, I could see them and … we have just started the race. It seems I have recovered my pace, physical and mental strength.

Riding hard during the up hills and a bit dangerously along the down hills, which are plenty of stones, I reduce the distance.

After the first downhill, I see how Dani Lorca (Master 30 from Bicis Pina) is fixing a puncture. Now, I am riding in the 2nd place of my category (Master 30), but I cannot decrease the speed and I try to ride faster to achieve my only aim: to be in the top of the race.
My manager and Julián’s father (CDEC El Pinchazo) encourage me to continue riding fast and furious. I am aware of the danger to downhill so fast between the stones that can cause serious damages to my machine without mentioning how easily I can have a puncture.

We are in a race, I am not in the head and there is no time to be conservative. It is true that I ride in the 2nd place of my category, but this is not enough to discard my only aim.

After a few miles, I join myself with the lead group, but I noticed that one biker has taken some advantage. Keeping my own pace I overtake Sergio López (Máster 40 from Golpe de Pedal) and Carlos García (Máster 30 from Bicis Pina). My aim is the same, but I am now riding in the 1st position of my category and 500 meters far away from my persecutors.

Unfortunately, I paid the risk during the last downhill and my puncture sealant liquid was not able to fix a small cut in my rear tyre. I lost around two minutes trying to fix the puncture and Sergio López overtook me.

Afterwards, I continue riding in the 1st place of my category. Once again, I have another puncture, but now it is the turn of the front tyre. In this case, the sealant liquid worked fine and I could cross the finish line as the 1st Master 30 and with the feeling of having done a great job.
Local TV interview
Master 30 podium
All categories podium
The machine finished in a very bad state; my manager and I had to spend the whole evening fixing it. The rims have suffered a lot during the hard down hills and they need an urgent health check. Fortunately, both my machine and I knew how to fight until the end.
GARVÍA BIKE - CENTRO TIR racing team
Today’s success would not be possible without the encouragements of my supporters and all the sponsors that work together with the team to try to get the best results from the daily training.

 
GARVÍA BIKE ©