31 March 2012

III MTB Race of Santa María de los Llanos


Date: March 31, 2012
Time: 16:30
Distance: 38 kms

Saturday 16:30, GARVÍA BIKE – CENTRO TIR is ready to ride hard in the III MTB Race of Santa María de los Llanos (Cuenca).

The good economical prizes for the three first classified were enough to concentrate a lot of high level riders.

The race started very fast and we set a group of 15 bikers. I feel really good and I am strong enough to be in the top of the race several times. 8 kilometres later, we are only three riders in the head of the race.
 
One of the riders takes some advantage, so I decide to go faster behind him. I ride in second place, but a few meters behind me is the third one.

In a tricky uphill, I am not able to drive well among several stones and lose some seconds and distance. Now, my position is the third one.

Riding in the third place, I see really near the first and the second one. I decide to ride faster to reach them. There are only 10 kilometres left to finish the race.
Unfortunately, my bike is not behaving well, I have broken a spoke of my rear wheel and it is not as stable as desired. Nevertheless, it is not enough for my ambition to win the race.
However, a bit later I have a “fantastic surprise”, one race coordinator was not precise enough to indicate the correct way and I lost myself. After riding 300 meters, I could join again to the race. The first riders are far away and I feel a bit depressed. I have lost my third place, I was not able to ride to win and I did not know my current place.

I decided to continue riding hard until the end. I did not know my current place, but I was going to fight hard until I finish my race.

After a couple of miles, someone tell me that I ride in the fourth place and I am able to see to the third rider!. It is not time to get depressed, but to ride hard to recover the lost position.

In the last kilometre, I place myself in the third position and I am able to finish in the third position of the main ranking and in the 1st position of Master 30.
Many thanks to my manager for his race data and for the great photographs.

 
GARVÍA BIKE ©