18 March 2012

Ciudad Real MTB Open: Membrilla

Date: March 18, 2012
Time: 9:30
Distance: 47 kms
 
Sunday 5:00 a.m., it is time to wake up and drive 200 kilometres to Membrilla (Ciudad Real).

Membribike Cycling Club was in charge of organizing the third round of the Ciudad Real MTB Open. 2 laps of a fast circuit with a bit of everything, very entertaining and suitable for all bikers.

As soon as the race start, I place myself at the head to ride hard together with Yago Sardina (Sub23), Sebastián Blanco (Élite), Elías Alonso (Élite) and Enrique Leblic (Master 30). High level bikers for a race in which I would be able to test if my latest training changes have been the correct ones.

Within the first kilometers, the 5 bikers ride alone. Although we ride fast, the pace is comfortable for me.
 
We start the second lap faster than the previous one. Two riders (Yago Sardina and Elías Alonso) decrease their pace, so the other three bikers ride alone to try to get the first position. The pace of the first riders is really high and my heart rate is now set in the “race mode”.
 
I am riding hard and reliable, my heart rate is the correct and I decide to attack. I go far away during some meters, but the other two bikers reach me soon to ride together again.

After a 90 degree turn, we suddenly faced a hard slope to climb and I see how the other two bikers run a couple of meters in front of me. Thus, I have to ride alone against the wind.

Around 1 kilometre to cross the finish line, I see how the other two bikers are more tired than me and decrease their pace, so I decide to start my final effort to try to get the first position.
 
Unfortunately, I had not enough time to reach them and I finished in the third place of the main ranking and in the 2nd place of Master 30. I have to recognize than I am very proud of this race in which I could have the chance of riding together with ones of the best regional riders.
 
My manager, who knows me very well, was convinced that I would win the race, because I was riding comfortable. However, when you ride with such a good quality riders, a small detail or small error can decide who win the race. It is racing and we like it!

Link to the race ranking
More photographs in the new GARVÍA BIKE gallery

 
GARVÍA BIKE ©